The Collingwood Lifesaving Crew. Brawny young men who risked their own lives to save the passengers and crew of ships in danger on Georgian Bay.
A life station was established at Collingwood Harbour in 1885 and equipped with “Dobbin’s pattern” lifeboats. The heavy wooden rowboats were self-righting, self-bailing, 25 feet long and eight feet across.
Lifeboat Captain Patrick Doherty and his crew of six men practiced often, so they could row to the rescue through rough seas and stormy weather whenever a ship was in trouble.
The remarkable courage of these brave men who risked their lives to save others is an important part of Collingwood’s maritime history.