The American Heart Association has come out with seven steps to a healthy heart.
Here they are:
* You’ve never smoked or quit more than one year ago.
* Your body mass index is less of than 25. There are simple BMI calculators online.
* Physical activity. You need at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous work each week.
* Eat a healthy diet including fruit, vegetables, and fibre-rich foods every day; oily fish twice a week; no more than three cans of pop a week; and less than three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt every day
* Your total cholesterol should be less than 200 milligrams per deciliter. Your fasting blood sugar should be less than 100 milligrams per deciliter. And your blood pressure should be below 120/80.
* Bottom line according to the cardiologists who wrote these guideline if you keep these factors under control, you’ll live longer and healthier.