Happy birthday Antonio Vivaldi!
Here are five fun facts about the great composer:
- He was born on March 4, 1678 in Venice, Italy and died on July 28, 1741 in Vienna, Austria.
- He wrote over 500 concertos, almost half, of which are for the violin.
- He became an ordained priest in 1703.
- He spent 37 years as a composer, teacher and conductor at the Pio Ospedale della Pieta asylum for orphaned girls.
- He suffered from ‘strettezza di petto’ (tightness of the chest) throughout his life. This severe asthma inhibited his speech and even made him weak and dizzy when she spoke.