Collingwood Spotlights, Uncategorized
Telfer’s Made The Biscuits”! The slogan used by The Telfers; who in 1956 created Collingwood’s first family-owned business on Hurontario Street. It was founded by Father Hall and later operated by sons James and Herbert. In 1873 they purchased their first hand operated cutting machine for fig and soda biscuits production. They soon became “serious competition” to Christie’s Biscuits newly opened Toronto Factory. Telfer’s sales promotions included tins of Molly’O biscuits containing stills of a new 1921 motion picture of the same name. In Toronto they sold over 6,000 pounds of Molly O biscuits within five days! The business fell on hard times and closed in 1924. Today Telfer’s biscuit tins are still considered “collector’s items”.
Take a listen to this week’s Spotlight: